Tuesday, October 25, 2011

My First Fondant

First, I must say that the below picture is of a rather pathetic attempt at a cake. However, in my defense, it was my first for a lot of things. Most notably it was my first attempt at Fondant and at a two tier cake as well. It is The Rooster's birthday and I wanted to create a special cake for his family get together. Plus, it was a good excuse to make a big fun cake. Before you take a long hard look at this picture, I would like to mention that it is not at all the design I came up with. In fact, as I stared at it unhappily prior to leaving for his family gathering, The Rooster himself finalized the design by lining up all of the little anchors. The good news is that this made all the anchors readily accessible to all the kids, who ate them all as soon as they were granted permission!


I have never used any fondant before, store bought or otherwise. However, I chose to torture myself by making my own homemade Marshmallow Fondant. It was not only fun to make, but exceptionally easy. The recipe is readily available online. I also decided to carve these complicated little anchors by hand. What was I thinking? I was too skittish to cover the whole cake in fondant, so the blue is all buttercream. Next time I will attempt to cover the whole cake.

Despite its screaming imperfections, it was still super delicious if I do say so myself. I'm looking forward to the next cake adventure. Can't wait actually!

No comments:

Post a Comment